Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Gem Hunter

I always wanted to be a journalist, not the kind I am right now but that's due to circumstance and an unhealthy dose of lack of confidence, so this will have to do for now. My other great passion is interior design and decor, which I studied at the Boston House School of Interior Design.

I've never actually used it professionally and made money from it but I am often called in by friends and family to give them a home makeover, source peices and create a feeling in a space. When I was kid I redorated my teeny tiny room every year. Those walls have been every colour under the sun. Every birthday I asked for money and spent it on furniture, lamps, bedding, ornaments and materials to revamp what I already had.

I especially love revamping furniture, and making it work in a difficult space. Hardly anyone has a home that's going to be featured because of it's architectural brilliance in a magazine, by why shouldn't it try to look like it could. There's no reason to go out and spend a fortune on all new furniture. Use what you have, sand it down and paint it, find some chic handles, recover your cushions with off cuts from bargain fabric stores, spray paint ornaments and thenn spray with gloss. Creating a look is easy and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Milnerton market is the place to go for one of a kind vintage and retro peices. Woodstock has plenty of second hand furniture stores brimming with items that just need some attention. Mr Price Home and @Home have all the basics you could ask for. It's just matter of getting your hands dirty and digging through the crap till you find a gem.

No one needs a decorator to make their home one of a kind or purchase everything out of a catalogue to get a look. Try it yourself, every peice will come with a memory,a story and a sense of pride knowing that your sourced it yourself.


Here are some inspiring spaces.















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment doll!