1. Grab a pair of denim shorts, jeans or a shirt. Wear plastic gloves to protect your hands.
2. Create bleach solution, mixing two parts water and one part bleach in a plastic bucket.
3. Prepare your shorts by threading a ruler through the belt loops (or use any long item to rest across bucket).
4. Dip the shorts into the liquid, to the desired depth, and rest the ruler on the top of the bucket where they will hang in the solution. Leave the shorts soaking for approx 30 minutes. The bleach will run a tad, so be sure to leave an additional few inches.
5. After the bleach has turned the shorts the desired white shade (this may take a few dips), remove and soak in your sink or bathtub with two parts water and one part vinegar for approx. five to ten minutes, to stop the bleaching process.
6. Let the shorts /shirt/jeans dry completely and cut to desired length. For a more distressed look, pull along the edges of the shorts. and jeans.
7. Wash and dry the shorts alone for the first time. After that, you’re good to go for future washes.